The Bidasoa Txingudi region is named after the river of the same name, which, originating in the neighbouring province of Navarre, empties into the Bay of Txingudi. Further inland, Monte Jaizkibel and the rocky crags of Peñas de Aya rise up from the coastal hills, providing the bay with an impressive backdrop.
Apart from the aforementioned Hondarribia, two more towns make up the Bay of Txingudi: Irún and Hendaya.
IRUN: Charged with social and military history, owing to it’s location on the border with France, Irún, between the river Bidasoa and the Aiako Harria (Peñas de Aya) massif, offers an extraordinary visual and cultural setting. Nowadays it is an important centre of communication with Europe and stands out as a commercial hub. It is also renowned for Oiasso, the most important archaeological discovery in Gipuzkoa in recent times.
The Iglesia del Juncal (Church of the Rushes), constructed in late gothic and Basque-gothic style, is worth visiting, as is the Ermita de San Marcial (San Marcial Hermitage), built on Mount Aldabe to commemorate victory over the French in battle on June 30, 1522.
The Oiasso Museum, which houses relics and remains from the Roman age found around the city of Oiasso, has an interpretation centre, with information about the settlement and the Roman period in the Bay of Biscay.
HENDAYE: With 3.5 kilometres of fine sand, the gently sloping playa de Ondarraitz (Ondarraitz Beach) is the safest on the Basque coastline. Water temperatures can reach up to 24 degrees Celsius in summer – the perfect place for families looking for space and safety. It’s also a good bet for surfers – from beginners to those already experienced.
Inspired by Middle Age forts, the Castillo de Abbadia (Castle of Abbey) stands overlooking the ocean at the eastern end of town. It was built by Eugene Viollet le Duc between 1864 and 1879 for Antoine d’Abbadie, and its interior is characterised by the owner’s passion for the orient. The décor was inspired by his numerous journeys and contains several African murals. There is also an old astronomy observatory and a chapel where Antoine d’Abbadie is buried. This magnificent mansion has been donated to the Academy of Sciences.
For more information, visit: